Always ethereal, always eclectic, I write as the mood strikes, when there intrigue reveals itself. Usually that means something controversial or adventure of some sort.

I've tried really hard to be unprovocative, but have as yet been unsuccessful.

Monday, 8 May 2006

Speaking of Peace Making

So, just after blogging about peace making, I get off the train from Marraksh, and am confronted by the only place in all of Dar Baida where the taxi drivers consistently try to rip you off- the main train station. One guy asks me if I want a ride, and I said sure, to Kenisat Moulay Yahya (St. John's Church). Then he tells me that it will be 20 Dirham- twice the actual rate. Now the thing is, here it's illegal to have a small taxi without a working meter. But tourists don't know that, so they try to rip you off at the train station. So I told the guy no, and went to the next guy. Who did the same thing as the first guy.

I had a choice here. I chose to bring up to the taxi driver that if he wouldn't give me the meter price, I'd call the police and report him. (That's a standard option, if you want to go through the trouble, that will often work in getting a taxi driver to reform and by a miracle suddenly have a working meter.) He didn't care, so I told him Hshuma, Hshuma muk- shame on you and your mother. (At times a powerful argument in a shame-based culture.) He still didn't care. I went on to another taxi and took it to the church.

Yeah, I might have lots of opportunities to break up fights, but as far as creating peace myself, I have a lot to learn. I find it is when I am impatient that I am least desirous of creating peace. Tired of dealing with one more person trying to rip me off. I could have probably diffused the situation much more effectively telling the taxi driver with a smile, "Look brother, I'm not a tourist- I live here. We both know we need to use the meter- let's just do this and move on." But instead, I chose to escalate the situation, and not create peace.

Every day, every minute, it's a choice on how to respond to people- out of love and a desire for peace, or the shortest route to get what I need done. Love is inconvenient- I don't think at times, I think always. It's a pain in the ... If I'm honest, I don't want to do it most of the time. I want the easy way out. I'd rather not die to myself.

No comments: