Always ethereal, always eclectic, I write as the mood strikes, when there intrigue reveals itself. Usually that means something controversial or adventure of some sort.

I've tried really hard to be unprovocative, but have as yet been unsuccessful.

Friday, 11 May 2007

Flying True

Today I had my first archery lesson, from the only place in the Seattle area that gives archery lessons. The instructor is very good, natural teacher, and we had a good time talking as he instructed me. (He was once ranked 2nd in the world in his age bracket, and 13th overall, before breaking his neck at 18.) I do love aboriginal societies and anthropology and primitivism, so I chose a longbow- something not complex, but allowing me to get the feel of it. I think it's important to have some way to defend myself in case we are invaded by Iraq. Surprisingly, evidently you don't need a permit to carry this lethal weapon around on the street.

It's the first time doing it since I dabbled in archery as a child with a kid's bow, and took it in one PE class in high-school. It was fun, although a bit wearing on underused muscles. Bob helped me get into good form, and he felt I had good discipline, within the "zen of archery". For the longbow, you evidently need to lean over and bend your legs, sighting a bit lower than what you actually want to hit. At $40 a pop, there won't be many of these lessons.

No comments: