Always ethereal, always eclectic, I write as the mood strikes, when there intrigue reveals itself. Usually that means something controversial or adventure of some sort.

I've tried really hard to be unprovocative, but have as yet been unsuccessful.

Tuesday, 9 October 2007

Cruisin with the T Bird

Well, I did it. I took the plunge, and bought a car. T Bird sounds pretty fly- a lot more than how the 95 LX looks. It sounds like a muscle car too- with a cold. But it was only $800, and I got a great deal from Geico. (Good rates, even if their TV show is awful.) I've come to realize I no longer live in a city where I can cross the entire city for only $5. And for dating, it doesn't matter how egalitarian I might be, or the modern world has become- it's harder for a guy to be carless than it is for a woman. A crappy car can say the guy's into simplicity- but he needs a car. She needs to know that, if she's in need, he can be there. And Flexcar just doesn't say that.

So I used Craigslist for the first time, and got this Thunderbird- my first American car. And while American is not a natural fit for me (I'd rather contribute to the debt America owes the rest of the world for living off it's back), it does open a whole new world for me. Suddenly the American dream of freedom is open to me again. I can decide on a whim to go anywhere in the city, any night- without checking the bus schedule, getting the wrong information, and waiting an hour at bus stops. Any weekend I can take that trip to the Scablands I've been wanting to, and see the remains of what is perhaps the largest flood in historical times. But most of all, I can drive people around. When you don't have a car, or a reasonable home, you can't have people over, or have them use your car. And tonight - Tonight, I received the opportunity to drive a friend home. That's what having a car is all about.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Mabruk il sayyara jdidti!

Anonymous said...

Yea! Americar man! See you on the open road!
--trucker mom