Always ethereal, always eclectic, I write as the mood strikes, when there intrigue reveals itself. Usually that means something controversial or adventure of some sort.

I've tried really hard to be unprovocative, but have as yet been unsuccessful.

Thursday, 19 April 2007

How to Negotiate

Since the previous job opportunity didn't quite work out (some weird ethical conflict or something), I accepted another today, as an Executive Admin at United Way. I'm excited about this, as one of my desires is to work on an issue that I care about, to be part of something that is working to care for the poor and make the world better. I'll be working for a VP and two directors. After prayer and discussion, I felt like this was the right direction- it will also give me some stability over the next year and a better base to formulate plans and future from. My workspace is rather large- about the same size as where I live.

I went into the salary negotiations feeling pretty confident. I'm Moroccan, after all. I know how to bargain. When he asked me how much I made last year, I told him, "174,331 dirhams." That didn't help much, so he asked me how much I thought I should get for salary. I told him an amount 6% higher than what I wanted, and 13% higher than I was willing to accept. He told me he wanted to be fair with me, and so offered me an amount 4% higher than my initial figure! So much for my bargaining skills. And very impressive with the honesty and integrity of United Way.

I of course told him that was too much, so he offered me 17% lower than my initial offer, and I found this infinitely more acceptable.

2 comments:

quaintance said...

This is a great post! First off, YAY FOR YOU! This looks totally promising to me, completely fitting with your passion for people and desire to do well for society & justice. God can really use you there. Second, the stuff about the bargaining is hilarious! You and he both come off good humoured.

I'll keep my eyes open for a good cube gift for you :)

@bdul muHib Diherhen said...

See, after a dry spell, when things happen, I just keep pouring one post out after another!

Thank you :-)